
I grew up eating "sugar cereal." You know, Fruit Loops, Apple Jacks, Lucky Charms. Mmmm... I still eat it. But now, I eat it at night for my evening snack after the kids are in bed. I can usually sneak it into the grocery cart without it being seen. Occasionally, I am found out. Recently, Jack saw me eating a big bowl of Fruit Loops and promptly reported it to Kayla the next morning. "Kayla! Guess what Mommy eats when we go to bed!"
Now they only get this delightful treat on their birthdays, thus the name "birthday cereal." They can choose whatever kind of cereal they want. Well, this morning I was shopping in Walmart and thought I was choosing Mom's Best Mini-Wheats when what I actually took from the shelf was Mallow-Oats (generic Lucky Charms). Didn't figure that out until I was checking out. When I got home, Kayla immediately spotted the Mallow-Oats through the bag. Her eyes got big and she said, "MOM! Did you buy birthday cereal???" "Yes." I explained why I happened to buy birthday cereal when no one in our family has a birthday in the near future. "Is it for ALL of us?" "I guess it is," I said.
She ran outside to find Jack. "JACK!! Mom bought birthday cereal!" He came running in the house, eyes equally big. "MOM! Did you really buy birthday cereal? Kayla said you bought birthday cereal!" I explained again. Who would have thought something so simple could cause so much excitement!
So, we will all be having Mallow-Oats for breakfast in the morning and enjoying this unexpected treat very much!


1 comment:
Danielle,
This is a PRECIOUS story...you can hear their joy ringing through your words! Thinking of you and love you!
Post a Comment