Sunday, September 8, 2013

Some School HIghlights

I noticed Friday that Kayla and Jack were each on their respective third spelling tests.
Which means we have finished three weeks of school.
Then I realized we are in our seventh year of homeschooling.  When I hear of someone who has homeschooled for a long time I assume they have a lot of knowledge and I want to pick their brain.
On my end, I look back and see a lot of things I wish I had done differently or better.  It's so hard not to second guess every decision!  That's true with anything, I know.
Anyway, here's a look at my favorite school moments from the past week. 
*Jack and Kayla are enjoying Latin.  I've noticed Kayla seems to be picking it up really quickly- maybe she'll have a natural bent toward languages?  And Jack is noticing a lot of the English derivatives from the vocabulary he's learned so far. 
*The writing program we've used for a couple of years (IEW) teaches something called Key Word Outlining (KWO).  I was talking with Jack about beginning to outline his history reading and he said he could just KWO it.  Yes!  A skill that's carrying over!
1236575_400931010008276_1151042573_n photo(10)

*We got some caterpillars early in the week.  By Friday one was in a chrysalis.  All the kids have had fun watching this process, especially Sam and Lucy.  In the first picture Sammy is drawing what he sees.  We should have some butterflies in 10 days or less.  We did this whole caterpillar/butterfly thing three years ago- you can read here to see what happened then.  Hoping for NO repeats!
*I'm reading fairy tales to Sammy and Lucy.  That's been fun, too.  In the second picture, Sam is using some props to retell "The Three Billy Goats Gruff." 
*Louisa May Alcott's Jack and Jill is our current read-aloud.  So good!

1 comment:

podso said...

So how has Lucy done with preschool ongoing? I would say you are certainly now one to go to for advice on homeschooling ! Yea for Latin ... Jack has figured out one reason it is so good to learn. It becomes a lifelong friend as it helps with vocabulary, medical terminology! I wish I could visit your homeschool sometime!