Saturday, September 21, 2013

Saturday Night

I can hear my new wood-wick candle as it pops and cracks its pumpkin scent into the living room.  I love these candles and have been looking forward to getting one (or two) at the fall street festival.  This cool, rainy day seemed perfect for settling in with a book, something hot to drink, and of course the candle.  That's not what I did, but it would have been nice.
Instead we spent a good part of the afternoon and evening processing (really, just cutting up) a bunch of chickens that were wondering around a farm just up the road this morning.  Tonight they are in our freezer.  Brian does most of the work.  I just bag up the parts and stick them in the freezer.  Lucy had two things to say about this chicken business.
One;  "Where are their faces?"
Two:  "Ewww..."
Still makes me laugh.
In between chicken sessions we went to a little birthday party.  Virginia Tech won in overtime.  I've got some new music downloaded from Red Mountain.  And it's almost bedtime. 
It's been a good day.

Books on my nightstand: Winter's Bone and  Fahrenheit 451

4 comments:

podso said...

IT sounds like my kind of day ... well, maybe not the chicken, though it is my favorite "meat."

Patricia said...

i think i agree with Lucy, "eeewww" for processing chickens! i bet it feels good though to have free range "fresh" chicken to eat =)

melissa said...

No comment on the chicken....ours might overhear. :)

Amanda said...

This is too funny! You have to tell me more about the chickens. It sounds like you just had feral chickens out about and you hunter-gathered them in and dispatched them before wiping your bloody hands on your ankle length apron.

Julian will be delighted to know that Brian did the dirty work. This will help him feel less "am I becoming a hippy/mountain man?" about it all.