So ready or not, school starts here tomorrow. It's time, and I think in some ways we are all ready. Ready for a more of a routine, ready to dive into those books that the UPS guy brought Friday evening. We're taking a break from CC (Classical Conversations) this year in the hopes of freeing us up to do some other things. Here's what we're starting with this year:
*math- the usual Saxon.
*language arts (some form of spelling/handwriting/word study/grammar for everyone)
*classical roots vocabulary for Jack
*medieval history/geography
*writing assignments based on our history (IEW)
*astronomy- I am excited about this one. It's mostly for Kayla and Jack but I'm sure Sammy will get in on some of this. Sam will start out studying animals- hopefully with some caterpillars that will turn into butterflies.
*Latin- excited but intimidated
*logic (mostly fun brain-teasers)
*reading- my favorite. Jack is starting with a prose version of "Beowulf" which we will follow up with the poem. Kayla is starting out with From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. Sammy and Lucy are going to enjoy a heavy dose of both classic fairy tales and tall tales.
*read alouds- Two titles we'll read in the next few weeks are Robin Hood (to go along with history) and Jack and Jill by Louisa May Alcott just because I heard that every family should read this aloud together.
(Amanda- does that satisfy your request?)
Now to get some of those books on the shelf.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Hey "teacher" D - the pics are not showing? :(
LMA wrote Jack and Jill?
Love reading about your school start. Saxon math has such a familiar sound to it! (we used it). I can see Jack and Kayla really getting into astronomy.
And your pics are missing! :-(
Yes! I could daydream about curriculum all day long. I wish I could be a kid again and be homeschooled! What fun. Love it, love it.
Post a Comment