We have come across some treasures in the past few weeks. I often wonder how I
missed so many of these as a kid, and I was a reader! I remember my mom
taking me to B. Dalton's and Marie's Bookstore and the library. I read
lots of good books then, and I still get to read lots of good ones now.
The Family Under the Bridge is our current morning read aloud, and it's quickly becoming a favorite. I love how the "starlings" effortlessly work their way into Armand's heart. There are sweet lessons to be learned from these homeless children and an old man in France. We've enjoyed looking up some of the famous Paris locations mentioned in the book. It takes place right around Christmas- maybe save it for December!
I read In November Sammy and Lucy this week. The imagery and illustrations make November and colder weather so very appealing. A beautiful book with lovely language.
Also- though these aren't "read-alouds" in the sense of settling in on the couch and turning the pages, I'm putting a plug in for books on cd- in the car on a trip, in a kid's room for some quiet time, while playing with legos, etc... While they aren't a substitute for reading aloud as a family, they are a good way to get in even more good story time.
Here are a few titles that have been playing in our house the past few weeks.
Pippi Longstocking
Ramona and Her Father
Mr. Popper's Penguins
Nancy Drew
Also- though these aren't "read-alouds" in the sense of settling in on the couch and turning the pages, I'm putting a plug in for books on cd- in the car on a trip, in a kid's room for some quiet time, while playing with legos, etc... While they aren't a substitute for reading aloud as a family, they are a good way to get in even more good story time.
Here are a few titles that have been playing in our house the past few weeks.
Pippi Longstocking
Ramona and Her Father
Mr. Popper's Penguins
Nancy Drew
Linking Up to Read Aloud Thursdays



2 comments:
Oh, I read The Family Under the Bridge a long time ago (years!) to my girls and positively butchered the French! ;-). It is a very sweet story, and it's one I'd like to find an audiobook for!
Isn't Mr. Popper's Penguins a hoot? We love that audiobook!
Thank you for linking today - I wonder how I missed all of this growing up, too!
Post a Comment