Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Where We Were Headed

"Mommy, can we read some "Wittle Hou?"  (which means "Little House" in Sammy talk).  I love to hear that from him.  He is usually the one to ask for which ever of these books we're on. Right now, it's By the Shores of Silver Lake.
The day started out with a beautiful fall sky, clearing from a night of rain.  The air seemed so crisp and cool.  I tried to capture some of the sunlight but didn't quite get it.  Still, thought these were pretty.
It didn't take long before we were into school and having our ups and downs there.  Really even before school.  One never knows which way the wind will blow, only that it probably will.  I find myself asking (or is it begging) for wisdom, grace, patience, kindness, and joy each day.  I guess that's a good place to be, dependent on the Lord for all things.
As the day drew to a close, the kids were outside playing and I was finishing those tasks that never seem to get done.  There are plenty more, but to get a few done was so nice.  I lit a candle.
One by one, they came in.  Cheeks cool and red.
"Yes," I said to Sam.  We got his jammies on and headed for the couch.  He climbed up in my lap.  Kayla and Jack gathered around.  And we read by the lamplight.
"One more chapter Mommy?"  How could I say no?
Such a cozy ending to our day.
Where we'd been headed all along.

3 comments:

Jenny and Andy Benson said...

LOVE!!!!

When did you start reading chapter books to your kids? I can't wait to start with Abby and C, but I think Abby is still too young, but then again I've never tried... When did you notice that they kept their atttention?
Miss you!

Angie said...

Oh, yes! That peace and stillness and quiet and snuggle... we move there through struggle. And every day we find it, somewhere in the simple joys of togetherness. I love this post!

podso said...

I loved the chapter book reading. Except sometimes I'd start to nod off and the kids could tell it in my voice and would elbow me to wake me up. :)

What a great post! and love the daddy time pics!