Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Hmmm...

Yesterday was such a nice day.
The guys all went back to Hanging Rock Raptor Observatory for the day.  They saw bald eagles, falcons. Even found a rock full of fossilized worm trails.
The girls and I picked up a little then went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast.  Kayla did a little school work.  I planned for Thursday's Essentials class.
We made homemade bread.  The girls made brownies.
The house stayed somewhat clean.
All grace.
All undeserved by me and yet given freely. 
Today was back to normal.
School all day.
Some good parts.  Some, not so much.  Yesterday was more fun!
Latin+Jack+me=Frustration
The house is messy.  Again.  How does that happen so fast??
I feel worn out.
Is there still grace?
Absolutely.
Sometimes I look for all the pleasant, fun things in our day and say I am thankful.  As I should be.
When those "good" things are harder to find,  my attitude gets less than thankful.  Demanding maybe?  Full of self-pity?  Defeated?
Maybe the grace in the harder days is the call to look and find those gifts that are still there.  The reminder that I alone am not sufficient but His grace is.  The truth that His strength is made perfect in my weakness.  That persevering and getting over those humps and hurdles in the day is worthwhile- maybe even more worthwhile than sailing through a smooth day.
Would I say today has been "such a nice day?"  Hmmm...
But it's a good day.
Full of more grace.  Still undeserved by me but freely given.
And let me not forget- all the laughing this morning.  The silence as we finished the last chapter of Shiloh.  Brownies for snack.   A 12 year old who doesn't like Latin but enjoys geography.  A 10 year-old who loves to write and does it independently.  A 7 and 4 year-old who played for over an hour this morning without a single harsh word.  A husband who smiles and encouraged me to press on. 
Grace.

2 comments:

podso said...

Nice. And tell Jack the reader he'll know even more words when he reads by studying Latin. :-)

Amanda said...

Your cup overflows!