Tuesday, April 20, 2010

On Moving

Why does taking the "a e i o and u" down off the school room wall bring a lump to my throat?  Maybe because this is the place Kayla learned to read.  Or the place where we have struggled through each others good days and bad, attitudes and triumphs.  The place where we've put in hours of math facts, stars and planets, writing and copying. 
Not to mention the rest of the house.  We brought Lucy home.  Here.  Lost teeth.  Had sleepovers.  Prayers.  Story after story.  Tears and giggles.  Talks and quiet. 
I know we'll have much more of this and even new memories.  And as happy as I am to be moving on, I think any place you raise your family has a place in your heart.  And you just don't forget it so easily. 
Will heaven be like that, I wonder?  Will we remember the labors of our hands with thankful hearts and yet enjoy the newness and perfection of our new, eternal home?  I don't know.  But I do long for that place where we will not have to move on- where we will enjoy our eternal rest and our heavenly Father forever.

1 comment:

Jenny and Andy Benson said...

So many wonderful memories! I feel the same way about all the places we have lived, too, though we have "grown out of" each place, part of me misses those homes- Abby's first steps, first words, finding out we were expecting her, so many more!! Those are truly what make our houses "homes" and not jsut buildings!
Excited for you guys!